Monday, April 24, 2006

Can you say "Snakes On A Plane"?

Imagine my surprise when I showed up to a lecture I have not attended in weeks only to be treated to a Q&A with one of the producers responsible for...Snakes On A Plane! The film, currently slated for an August release, did indeed reshoot for five days to incorporate fan-generated material circulating on the internet.

Other notes of interest: the film was given the green light because of its title ("I went to my boss and said, 'We have to do this! It's SNAKES ON A PLANE!'"), the producers opposed changing the title (contrary to what Samuel L. Jackson claims, so it's fair to assume the producer was lying), and the story was scrapped and rewritten eight--yes, eight--times before New Line was satisfied that it could go forward. Apparently, no one was ever really satisfied with why there were snakes on the plane to begin with. I'm glad they settled on the mob-witness angle instead of the research experiment gone awry.